Day 8 - To Alvaiazere

Walked today: 17.2 km
No of steps:. 22,151 steps
Total walked: 95.2 km

Talking to other pilgrims last night I hear the saying they had walked 25, 30 or more kilometres.  So far we are walking just over 10 km. I am tired, my legs hurt, my feet are sore.  I had a one hour nap and I am still tired.  Good news, my knee is a bit sore, but the swelling is down and it is working reasonably well.  More good news; Wonder Woman is still very patient when the old man slows down or asks for time out.

We got up in the dark and had a quick breakfast of tea and toast.  Daniel, Carlos' son was waiting for us to take us back some 10 clics do we could walk them back.

He left us still in the dark and surrounded by a very heavy fog.  He told us to be very careful because we had to walk on the road and when he saw us get out florescent safety vests he said, I'm glad, very good.

We had to walk on that road for 3 or 4 km, that's over an hour for us and we did see a few cars go by very fast.  I am sure the vests made us clearly visible.

The road crossed innumerable field of olive trees. But we also saw all kinds of fruit trees.  Lots of figs, some oranges, apples and going through a small village we saw a lady, Maria del Rosario, getting some the look like tomatoes from a tree.  She offered for us to try.  They were persimmons.  I have never tried one.  They are very good, taste a little peachy.

We saw a few dogs that tried to eat us alive but fortunately they were chained.

Half way to town the asphalt changed to cobblestones and then the feet started to complain.  Anyway, we made it to town before noon.  We went straight to bed and I slept for an hour.

At 1 pm we got up and went out in search of food.  We found that half of the town is closed because Portugal celebrates today the establishment of the republic.  We did find a place to eat and again I asked for Portugués vegetable soup and bread plus a bottle of vinho verdhe which we managed to finish.

Another nap, shower and now we are going to the church for a rosary, the laundromat (we found one), the supermercado and latter dinner.

Santiago apostole, we are on pilgrimage to your tomb, protect us and pray for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 17 - To Casa Fernanda in Lugar de Corgo

To Blog or not to blog

We have started