Day 9 - To Ançiao

Walked today: 15.9 km
No. of steps: 20,601
Total walked: 111.1 km

We woke up before dawn.  A quick breakfast of toast and tea and Carlos was ready for us.
I had asked him to give us a ride up to the top of the hill.  About 3 km, that's about one hour walk for us.

Carlos Pinheiro is one more living proof on how nice Portugués people are to us pilgrims.  We got off the car still on the dark and started our walk on the road. Again happy to have our safety reflective vests. 

There are a few uphill places but overall we had to go down about 300 metres.  I should mention that I am still nursing my left knee and the I have more trouble going down than up.  I also forgot to switch my orthotics from my shoes to my boots.  Halfway down my feet started to hurt.  Still walking a bit difficult. 

We did manage the 12 km or so in under 5 hours so we were in Ançiao before noon. Just entering town an older man - ok, younger than me - said hello and offered us a drink inviting us into his place.  I love the Portugués.

Very soon we saw the library, we went in to get our carimbo - stamp for the pilgrim credential - and ask for Mónica, the librarian we met two years ago.  Well, we were received with hugs and kisses just like family.
We certainly got our picture taken.

After that we stopped at the pastelería where we were 2 years ago with Annemarie and Leray.  Crossed the street over to the Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Coceicao for our daily rosary and then to the Residencial Adega Típica.  The same place where we stayed 2 years ago.

We had lunch there of this Portugués vegetable soup that I am getting addicted to and they promised to make us seafood rice for dinner; that was the best meal we had in Portugal last time.

We walked around a bit, showered, washed clothes and came to the library to take advantage of the Wifi (the hostel's is not working).

From here we'll just rest and have dinner.

Holy mother Mary, pray for us for our children and grandchildren and for all the pilgrims on the way to Santiago de Compostela.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Blog or not to blog

Day 17 - To Casa Fernanda in Lugar de Corgo

We have started